[Gsoc] Regarding Summer of code 2007

k.mukul at iitg.ernet.in k.mukul at iitg.ernet.in
Sun Mar 25 04:24:02 EDT 2007

Dear Sir,

 		I am an undergraduate student at Indian Institute of
Technology Guwahati India, working toward my bachelor's degree in Computer
 Science and Engineering. I found that you are involving this year in
google summer of code. while reading through Zope's webpage I found that
your project involves working with Python. Given my prior knowledge of
Python I could be an asset to your team. I came to know of Summer of Code
quite recently and therefore could not get the time to propose new ideas.
I am really interested in working with your team.

         My work background and coursework have supplied me with many
skills and an understanding of dealing with concurrent programming. I have
 an avid interest in parallel programming. I am wellversed in writing
multithreaded (POSIX thread libraries) on Linux.  My course in operating
system involved working on an educational operating system, PintOS
(introduced by Stanford University).

My enclosed resume provides additional details.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sincerely,
Mukul Kumar.

 		----------------
 		CURRICULUM VITAE
 		----------------

=======================================
         Proficiency & Skill Set
=======================================

   Programming Languages :
   -----------------------
         C, C++, Java 2, Visual Basic, FORTRAN 77,
         Pascal, Haskell 98, ML, Lisp, SQL,
         80x86 assembly programming (16 & 32 bit; DOS, Win32 & Linux)

   Scripting Languages :
   ---------------------
         Tcl/Tk, Ruby, VBScript,
         Perl (including CGI), Python, PHP,
         JavaScript, JSP, HTML, XML,
         Shell Scripting (DOS & UNIX/Linux Bash).

   Systems & Networks Programming :
   --------------------------------
         UNIX/Linux Programming (System Calls)
         Win32 Programming (System API & MFC)
         UNIX/Linux Socket API Programming
         WINSOCK 2 API Programming

   Hardware Platforms :
   --------------------
         IBM-PC (x86) & Pentiums

   Operating Systems :
   -------------------
         MS-DOS (6.22)
         MS Windows (98, ME, CE, 2000, XP, 2003)
         UNIX (HP-UX, Solaris)
         Linux (Debian, Red Hat, Caldera)

   Softwares & Tools :
   -------------------
         MySQL (Linux), SQL*Plus(Linux), MS Access 2002,
         Oracle 10g, Tomcat Server, Auto CAD,
         MATLAB, ns-nam, Rational Rose (& UML), VHDL,
         Xilinx Simulator, CircuitMaker, Tex & LaTeX.

   Hardware Knowledge :
   --------------------
         Digital electronic circuits (SSIs,MSIs & LSIs),
         Elementary Analog Components like op-amps,
         Transistors, FETs, Timers, BJTs.

======================================
         Theoretical Background
======================================

   Departmental Courses :
   ----------------------
     * C Language Programming (ANSI C)
     * Systems Programming (UNIX/Linux)
     * Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis (Java and C++)
     * Software Engineering (Using Various Languages & Tools)
     * Digital Logic and Circuit Design
     * Computer Architecture and Organization (RISC & CISC)
     * Discreet Mathematics & Graph Theory
     * Algorithms (Java & C++)
     * Formal Languages and Automata Theory
     * Operating Systems (using Nach-OS)
     * Data Communications
     * Database Management Systems (Relational Databases)

  Courses to be completed (till April, 2007 as a part of 6th semester)
   -----------------------
         - Compilers Design
         - Computer Networks
         - Theory of Computation
         - Computer Graphics (OpenGL)

   Other Courses:
   --------------
     * Electrical Sciences (I & II).
     * Advanced Calculus, Real & Complex Analysis,
       Partial Differential Equations (First & Second Order),
       Probability & Random Variables.
     * Engineering Mechanics and Engineering Drawing.
     * Mechanics, Relativity, Optics & Electrodynamics,
       Solid State Physics.
     * Physical, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry.
     * Micro & Macro Economics, Psychology,
       Theory of Economic Development (Developing Countries)

   Laboratory Courses:
   -------------------
     * Computer Architecture Lab (Hardware).
     * Basic Electronics Lab.
     * Physics Laboratory Course (Mechanics, Optics & Electrodynamics). *
Physical, Inorganic & Organic Chemistry Labs.

|		     Major  Projects                        |

Title ---   Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Techniques
-----

Organization --Indian Institute Of Technology Guwahati
------------

Guide --        Dr Pradipta Bandyhopadhyay
-----

------------

• Monte Carlo Code for a minimum of 20 atoms that interact primarily with
VDWpotential.

• Computational Simulation of GO Model of simple proteins.

• Simulation of Molecular Biology Techniques and Methods

This is a self initiated project meant for simple computational simulation
of common techniques like restriction digestion, ligation, conjugation,
PCR amplification, transposition etc. The draft software has been
developed in the first phase. Further work is going on currently to
simulate accurately the statistical events like ligation simulation and
genomic DNA isolation from E. coli, RNA isolation, Restriction digestion
and restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis, PCR amplification,
reverse transcription PCR analysis, Purification of PCR product, Cloning
of PCR product in T vectors, preparation of competent cells,
transformation and screening of recombinant clones, β-gal expression,
Southern blot, Cell separation by centrifugation and isolation of WBC,
Isolation of plasma membrane and preparation of erythrocytes (RBC)

• Extraction of amino acid sequence and DNA sequence alignment

The project aimed at development of a code for identification of the
codons for the six reading frames, location of the open reading frames to
extract the protein-coding sequence from a gene sequence and it's
conversion to the amino acid sequence for the protein. Further, the
obtained protein sequences were used for both local and global sequence
alignment of the corresponding DNA sequences using Hidden Markov Models.

• Principle Component Analysis for clustering gene expression data

The analysis of the micro array dataset was based on the paper on the
above topic published in Bioinformatics journal by Yeung & Ruzzo in 2001.

• A simple program for Secondary Structure Prediction using Artificial
Neural Networks.

• Superimposition

Optimization of the weighted RMSD of the proteins by dynamically aligning
the SSEs (i.e. with a computational bias towards restraing the algorithm
to produce biologically significant results).

Title                 RFID Security & Privacy
-----
Organization         Indian Institute Of Technology  Guwahati
------------
Guide                 Prof. Sukumar Nandi
-----
Description         We worked mainly on authorization, authentication
-----------     and encryption. Authorization of readers to tags
                  can be achieved by requiring a password from the reader
before a tag can communicate to it.
                  Authentication of tags to reader for anti-counterfeiting
for example using an algorithm or unique signature
feature of a tag. Data communicating between a
                  reader and a tag must be encrypted to protect the data.
Responsibilities
----------------
=>    Analyzing the existing algorithms.
=>    Find the most suitable encryption algorithm.
=>    Optimization of complex algorithms which are used in Smart Card
       (16bit processor) in such a way so that they can be implemented
into 8 bit processor.
=>    Making the test bed for simulating designed protocol.
=>    Analyzing the possible faults use for different attacks and try
       to prevent them.

Title    Speech Recognition HTK  development(mainly Hcopy)
-----
Technology Used  HMM (Hidden Markov Model), C,C++
---------------
Organization     Indian Institute of Technology  Guwahati
------------
Guide                   Dr. P.K. Das
-----
Description
-----------
             This project was a team work in which HTK developing
            using HMM for making it use full for common user. My
            work was related to main toolkit HCopy.  The purpose
            of Hcopy is copying one or more data files to a
            designated output file, optionally converting the data into a
parameterized form. While the source files can
            be in any supported format, the output format is always HTK.
By default, the whole of the source file is copied to the
target but options exist to only copy a specified segment.
Hence, this program is used to convert data files of other
formats to the HTK format, to concatenate or
            segment data files, and to parameterize the result.

Responsibilities
----------------
=>    To Document the whole code for common user purpose.
=>    To make changes in code so that the way of taking input can
       change such that there will not have any  further requirement of
knowing typical  process for user mainly for blind people

|                 ACADEMIC PROJECTS                               |

#1.R & D Automation Software for IIT Guwahati (Team Project)

Guide:      Dr. P.K. Das, Prof., Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati
-----
-----------     Prototype Model to automate Research &
                  Development Department at IIT Guwahati

Responsibilities:
-----------------
=>   Analyzing user requirements through a comprehensive user
      survey on the target group (R & D Staff of IIT Guwahati).
=>   Front end consisting of efficient and formal web interface
      for varied users like administrator, Dean, PI (prime investigator),
Department Head developed using Java Server Programming.
=>   Back-end used Oracle Database in conjunction with Apache server
      with JDBC connectivity to implement the system in an open network.
=>   Validating the design solutions by conducting user testing on
prototypes.

#2.HOSTEL MANAGEMENT DATABASE USING ORACLE 10g
Guide:    Dr. J.K. Deka, Prof., Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati
------
Abstract:
--------   A database which maintains records of current and past
            occupancy of hostels of IIT Guwahati. Give lease of rooms and
create invoice for each occupied room. Application for room
leasing should be processed and clashes resolved.

Tools & Language Used:  Oracle 10g, JSP, Apache web server
----------------------
Duration:     8 weeks
---------

#3.DEVELOPEMENT OF PintOS
-------------------------
Abstract:
---------
            Taken as part of Operating Systems course, it consisted of
          getting familiar with operating systems requirements and
gradually enhancing an educational OS kernel (PINTOS) running on
a Intel hardware using quemu as simulator. The enhancements
included: =>  Solving Multi Threading classical problems
          =>  Implementing real world thread synchronization problems =>
Memory management including paging, multiprogramming and
              Virtual Memory
          =>  System Calls like Fork, Exec, Read, Write, Join etc
          =>  File system handling.

Duration:    10 weeks (approx)
---------
Guide:     Dr. Gautam Barua, Prof., Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati.
------

#4.FINDING A MINIMUM ENCLOSING POLYGON WITH SPECIFIED ANGLES FOR
ANOTHER POLYGON :-
Abstract:
---------
             To devise a linear time algorithm to find minimum enclosure of
            a given polygon with another polygon of specified interior
angles. Started with taking simple cases like rectangle as an
enclosure and then developed a code to find the area of non
overlapping portion between given polygon and the enclosure.
The area was minimized by rotating the enclosure with some
angle. The result found out was that at least one edge of
given polygon should be flushed with one edge of the enclosing
polygon.

Guide:    Dr. S.V.Rao, Asst. Prof.,Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati
------

#5.4-BIT CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT:-
-----------------------------------
   Abstract:
   ---------
            This was developed as a lab assignment of Computer Organization
           and Architecture lab.The CPU has processing power of 4-bit and
an address space of 8-bit. CPUs control unit was micro
programmed and can implement basic functions like
                    LOAD, STORE, ADD, SUBTRACT, AND, OR, NOT,
                    CALL, RETURN, SET, JUMP, JA (JUMP ABOVE), HALT.
           74LS181 was used as 4-bit ALU, RAM chip 2114 as memory and
M2716 EPROM as control memory.

Guide:       Dr.S.B.Nair, Assoc. Prof, Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati.
------       Dr. J.K. Deka, Prof., Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati.

#6.GRAPHICAL VIEWING OF MOLECULES DATABASE & MOLECULE SEARCHING :-
Abstract:
---------
        A database of molecules in XML with details of no. & type of atoms
their co-ordinates and radii is given. A front-end graphical view
of molecule is implemented. Hierarchical searching of database is
done.

Tools & Language Used:    C, OpenGL library, XML
----------------------

Duration:    5 weeks (approx)
---------

#7.MEDIA STREAMING ON LAN USING JAVA :-
---------------------------------------
Abstract:
---------
        A media file from a computer is streamed on LAN. Other computer on
LAN catch the stream and play the media file. On one node target
ip and port number for streaming and file to stream is entered
while on other node source ip and port is entered.

Tools & Language Used:  JAVA, JMF( java media framework)
---------------------
Duration:   6 weeks
---------
Guide:      Dr. P.K.Das, Asst. Prof., Dept of CSE, IIT Guwahati.
------

Analog Circuits  Projects
-------------------------
Programmable      :     Study and Design  of Programmable Gain
Gain Amplifier(PGA)    Amplifier Using Analog Switch CD4066

Automatic Gain    :     Design of an A.G.C circuit to control
Control Circuit(AGC)   the abrupt change in volume of Radio and
                         Television when we tune in different stations.

Frequency         :     Study of Phase Locked Loop (PLL) built
multiplier             using NE565 and Design of Frequency
                         Multiplier  Using the PLL

MUKUL KUMAR
Roll#:04010126
Computer Science and Engineering,
Indian Institute OF Technology  Guwahati,
Room#:315 B2
Kameng Hostel
Ph.: +91-9954248857

This email was sent from IIT Guwahati Webmail. If you are not  the intended recipient, please contact the sender by email and delete all copies; your cooperation in this regard is appreciated.
http://www.iitg.ernet.in