[Gsoc] Project List

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Thu Mar 29 05:56:43 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> I just checked the project list and I think having 2 Grok projects in the top3
> is a bit excessive. I think Grok serves a part of the Zope 3 community, but
> so much as to warrant 2 projects. I think this is the new kid on the block
> effect.
>
> Further, I would be really disturbed, if Paul does not get one of his proposed
> projects (I really do not care which one). Of all the candidates, Paul has
> the most promise to become a long-term committer and advocat of Zope 3. He is
> also extremely smart, so he can produce very well-thought-out code.

I must agree here. Note that we can a) rearrange the top list with
additional votes. If only Stephan does this he can set the ranking to
improve the chances of the right projects making it.

> Martijn, I did the measurements last year already (when I applied for the
> project), and I know that converting the XML strings via schemas to Python
> values is about 50% of the startup time. Pickles, on the other hand, are
> quickly read, so I think the overall gain would be about 50%. For example, if
> Zope takes 4 seconds to start now, it would take 2 seconds after the
> improvements. I think that wildly! improves programming comfort. I would have
> never applied or suggested the project if I would have not known the numbers.

I am quite aware of your numbers, I read your initial proposal and was
quite enthusiastic about it. I *have* done Z3 development, and both
(functional) testing and restarting stand to benefit.

Please disregard this comment if you were addressing Faassen though. ;)

--
Martijn Pieters