[Gsoc] Three project ideas that could be Zope OR Plone.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:15:46 EDT 2008

As a result of the Plone Summit I was set to champion an introspector.
As a result of the feature request for this, I identified three
interconnected tools, that all would probably make good GSOC projects.

As they are not Plone specific, they could go under either the Plone
or the Zope banner, so I mail this to both lists. Some of this may be
overlapping with the Grok instrospector.

Component Registry Helper
=================
The component registry helper would let you look into the component
registry, to help you debug why a registered class doesn't appear.

I have a student lined up for this, so it's just a question of weather
to apply under Zope or under Plone GSOC.

Here are two ideas that are up for grabs:

Documentation Helper
==============
The documentation helper will show the methods and docstrings for a
particular object / class / interface.

Possible easiest way forward is to port apidoc to Zope2, and then
start enhancing it.

Object Introspector
============
The object introspector is a view for any object (possibly it needs to
be traversable to have views, I'm not sure).

There is also the idea of a:

View introspector
This is a view that helps you find information on a view, preferably
in a non-intrusive way, by popups or hovers over the view-parts (if
possible). A reasonable guess is that it's implemented as a subclass
of the object introspector, specialized for views.

I haven't got a clue of how to implement that, so I don't want to mentor it.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64