[ZDP] Documentation

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:10:08 +0200

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
> > Of course, but the XML can be translated to something else that can be
> > nicely printed. I've seen SGML->TeX tools, for instance; one can do the
> > same with XML (if nothing else we can put it through an SGML
> > intermediary that already supports such conversions, like Docbook,
> > though I hear there's an XML version of Docbook in the making).
> Well, perhaps one should try to do this first, before starting the
> great documentation offensive ;)

This is a good idea; why don't you look into Docbook tools? The idea is
that we'll write a Python script that'll read in the XML and generates
appropriate SGML; this can't be that hard. I already have worked with
XML parsers in Python, and building some other structure from it; though
I don't know a lot about Docbook yet.

The Docbook SGML can definitely be translated to lots of formats.

Anyway, XML is just a way to structure text so that computers can do
stuff with it, nothing more.

Regards,

Martijn