[ZDP] Goals for ZDP?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:43:43 +0200

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

> > From: SRichter@ixl.com [mailto:SRichter@ixl.com]

> > Before we can gather requirements, we have to define the goals
> > for the Zope
> > Documentation project. Please send me some goals you try to achieve with
> > ZDP.

> Chiming in a little late I guess. We have been discussing much of what the
> goals for ZDP would be. It would be a waste of time to do that over again I
> think. Part of it is on the metadoc section at ZDP. THere has also been an
> effort to make some master organization of the documentation. Part of it may
> be on the ZDP site I think, and part is in the list archives. I would
> suggest to take these as starting points. They may be on the wrong trach as
> someone suggested, but then please amend it. Otherwise the discussion about
> documentation will become as little focussed as the documents themselves -
> the biggest problem with a voluteer effort anyway...

I agree that reading the archives of the list and looking at Metadoc are
a good thing to do for people who haven't been part of the earlier
discussions. To reiterate:

* First project of the ZDP is a good FAQ. We're not there yet, as the
FAQ is currently static and isn't collaborative. The only good FAQ for a
project as big and rapidly changing project as Zope is a collaborative
FAQ that can adapt itself.

* Other project of the ZDP is the writing of the ZBook and otherwise
structuring of documentation in a coherent way (FAQs, HOWTOs, tutorials,
references etc). There should be good entry points to this
documentation, and lots of cross references.

We're not there yet with the design; I think Jim Salmons gave us a push
into the right direction with his message. It'd be welcome if some of
the experts on the Zope Portal Toolkit technologies (i.e. the Digital
Creation's people :) chimed in to state what's possible with it, and
what could be made possible. Some questions on this are in my reply to
Jim.

Regards,

Martijn