[ZDP] DISCUSS: Zope Front Door mockup

Craig Allen cba@mediaone.net
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:24:25 -0500

This is going to sound crass, and I'm not sure these words are quite right, but I
think the zope.org page needs to be a little glitzier and "professional".  Myself,
I prefer a relatively high content, low graphics page, but I believe it's time in
Zope's lifecycle when it needs more flash to grab the attention it deserves.

We (on the mailing lists) all know that Zope is tremendous technically, and it's
Open Source credential are impeccable.  But within the first visit or two to
zope.org, it's important to establish that *Zope has arrived!*

To me, this means soundbites from Infoworld, Web Techniques, pundits, whatever is
available (with a logo & link to the full text, of course), and eliminate the
links to Freshmeat, Redhat... most folks who can find their way to zope.org can
find those other sites.  Zope exits could move to a "links" or "sample Zope sites"
page of links.

I also think that some of Amos' links could be consolidated in a single link in
the left navbar labeled "Download" - very important to have that word on page 1.

How about a link to that animated GIF that showed what Zope 2 (or was it PTK?) was
going to look like from last summer?  Or better yet, to a Shockwave animation of
using the XMLDocument product, something that is so simple and yet so powerful
that a visitor should sit up and take notice.

The enhydra.org home page is more like what I'd like to see at zope.org.

My .02

Craig