[ZDP] ZDP Tool update

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:16:02 +0100

Hi !

There are some new ideas for the ZDP Toole project, which I have found
on the Zope homepage of Stefan Richter.

http://www.zope.org/Members/srichter

Perhaps this can stir up the discussion a little bit.

Greetings,

Maik Röder

   Version 0.8 23 Dec 1999

      News:

         1. I have got a member page mock-up page done. I will set it up
            on the ZDP homepage soon.

         2. I had a look at the "old" Requirements Document by Stefan Richter.
            I will write about some parts of it in the Discussion section.
            Not all can be covered now and here. I look back at it later.
            http://www.zope.org:18200/Members/srichter/requirements/index_html

      Links:

         1. The ZDP project Requirements Document by Stefan Richter.
            http://www.zope.org:18200/Members/srichter/requirements/index_html
            I will write about some parts of it in the Discussion section.
            Not all can be covered now and here. I look back at it later.

         2. ZDP Process, which Stefan Richter proposed for the ZDP project.
            http://www.zope.org:18200/Members/srichter/process/index_html
            I will have a close look at it later.

         3. ZDP Active Members
            http://www.zope.org:18200/Members/srichter/members/index_html

      Changes:

         1. Made the role Maintainer an explicit role. Before that, it
            was just a property of a DocumentFolder
      Discussion

         1. Flexibility in Design

            Martijn Faassen noted that "The initial quick deployment design
            should anticipate the possibility of extension later on. At least
            the data formats should allow for such extension (note: XML
            allows fairly easy conversion).

            In the current Design, the question of a data format is not an
            issue. There is just a DocumentFolder container, which can hold
            whatever data the member cares to throw in. My Design is more
            about how people work together on the project, and what services
            can be offered. The format question can be answered once we have
            a first running version of the ZDP tools.

         2. Categories

            Stefan Richter noted that a standard set of categories should be
            set. These categories may not be extensible in version 1.0, but
            should be flexible enough to be dynamic. The categories also
            should be the same for the FAQ and the Reference Manual.
            This could enable us to cross-link the two documentations.

         3. Area Editors (Tasks and Process)

            Rik Hoekstra pointed out that the effort should be focussed.
            This may be done by dividing responsibilities by "assigning"
            different parts of the documentation efforts to specific
            volunteers. This way work loads are divided and we can concentrate
            on specific parts of the task. Also, keep everyone concerned
            updated about the progress of the various tasks.

            We have a Role of a Maintainer, who has a certain project under
            his auspices. The progress can be seen from activity reports
            local to the DocumentFolder. Up to now, we have not thought
            about Tasks for a project. I'll add this to the Ideas section.

         4. Beginner, Advanved and Expert level documentation

            Rik Hoekstra said that Documentation is used in many different
            ways and the level of users of specific parts of the documentation
            is not always obvious or the same. For example: someone who is
            very experienced in one area may be a beginner in another, or
            explaining some advanced features often requires starting at the
            basis.

            I'll add this to the Idea section.

        5. Documentation reusal

            Rik Hoekstra said, that documentation organization should be
            such that different sections can be reused in other parts of the
            documents. Fulltext searching is not enough here. A clever
            (if simple) keyword system combined with ZCatalog may help. This
            will be hard to accomplish with XML. XML could be the output format
            though.

            How about a box like "Related documentation" by keyword ?

        6. Example Code

           Rik Hoekstra suggested to include (annotated) example code with
           all features documented. Show it on the documentation site itself
           make it available for download.

           How about a box like "Related Snippets" by keyword ?

        7. Editor Role

           Stephan Richter explained that the solution should allow the
           average user (Actor: AnyUser) to add questions to the FAQ and he
           should also be able to answer questions. For quality reasons I
           would strongly suggest an editor (Actor: Editor) who can edit
           and proof-read the questions and answers before they get publish.
           The editor should be trusted and is not responsible for the
           technical content. The community itself will correct mistakes
           over time.

           This would mean that AnyUser can not put a NeedsReader ZClass
           into these sections. An Editor has to do this.

        8. Submission Date and Product/Version data

           Brian Hopper stressed that we need to include submission date
           and product/version data with FAQ items, since some FAQs may be
           relevant only for a particular version of Zope, or a particular
           Product. This would also facilitate the removal of old / outdated
           information (an inaccurate FAQ may be worse than no FAQ at all!)

        9. Categories

           Brian Hopper brought up the discussion about what categories are
           appropriate for the FAQ ? Here are the different classifications
           that Brian suggests to produce different views on the same FAQ
           data:

           1. FAQ entries which are oriented toward audiences of varying
              technical expertise (DTML developers, Python programmers,
              content managers, designers/users) could then be organized that
              way.

           2. Another obvious one might be by what Product/feature the
              question is about (Confera / ZCatalog / ZClasses)

           3. What activity someone is trying to do (for example, connect
              Zope to this or that RDB).

      Ideas

         1. Rik Hoekstra suggested

            1. introducing tasks for project parts and progress reports for
               the tasks.

            2. introducing documentation levels from beginner to expert
               documentation.

            3. reusal of parts of the docomentation. Perhaps this can be done
               with a box like "Related documentation" by keyword ?

            4. annotated example code with all features documented. Perhaps
               a section like  "Related Snippets" by keyword could do ?