[ZDP] Re: [Zope] object modification date - how ?

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:28:09 +0100

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> At 19:13 13-3-99 , Andy Heath wrote:
> >I'm still a zope newbie
> >
> >Is there an easy way I can get a a modification date for an object
> >(so I can do a "last modified on ...")?
> >
> >Andy
>
> The property bobobase_modification_time gives you the last modification
> time. This is not in the docs, I gleaned it from Zope's source (it is used
> in amongst other places the document edit screen). This is a good item for
> the FAQ.

Okay, I'll add it. This raises the interesting question which section
this belongs in, though (DTML? External Methods? Built-in products?). My
categorization seems to be breaking down. General point to discuss for
the ZDP:

Right now I've categorized things from 'user experience', mostly. To be
more exact, mostly my user experience, but also inspired by Pavlos'
categorization on his initial CoolFAQ site. We now have FAQs like DTML
and External Methods as a result.

The Zope Q&A on the official Zope site
(http://www.zope.org/Information/QA) has a different structure, based
more on the actual structure of Zope (ZPublisher, Z Templates, Z Object
database, etc). Paul Everitt also suggested to us to use this
categorization for the ZDP's FAQ. I've been somewhat wary of doing this
though, as these categories are less solid 'concepts' in my mind, and I
suspect the minds of quite other few Zopists as well. Since this FAQ
aims to be readily accessible this categorization might not be a good
idea, unless someone can suggest a way to make it more accessible.

So, I'd like to see some discussion on categorizing FAQ (and Zope in
general) here, to help me along.

Thanks,

Martijn