[ZDP] The FAQ and the donkey V2

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:16:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:

> At 12:01 15/03/99 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >Darn.
> >
> >what about theothermartijn.org, though? :)
> >

> Available... will faassen@theothermartijn.org do?

Martijn and Theothermartijn have a weird sense of humor :-)

Ok about the CoolFAQ. Progress is slow and of course I will open the
development to everybody as soon as I pretty up my code (in about 2
days). The main issue that I had to wrestle with was the DTD and by
implication the strucure of the FAQ. Even though I had opted for a very
simple structure initially, eventually I tried to gather together and
add all the suggestions of the zdp folks, so the DTD is no longer very
simple. Martijn Faassen might not like the new xml faq documents but he
asked for it ;-)

This is what I came up with:

A FAQ has an info part and section parts. Section parts have an info part
and entry parts.

An info part contains information about the FAQ, like title, version etc
and any number of maintainers (or editors)

Sections also have an info part and can have different maintainers.

Entries have a question and answer pair and each can contain any number of
contributors and comments.

The order of sections and entries is important as the relative sequencing
is derived from the order they appear in the xml doc.

An xml doc can be read into the CoolFAQ and converted into a hierarchy of
Folders with appropriate properties. Given the verbosity of the xml doc
the prefered way of adding new entries, answers and comments will be
through the web, by using appropriate dtml methods.

Right now only the parser and the XML import functionality for CoolFAQv2
are implemented. I need to put up some basic DTMLs like the side-margin
and then ... we'll all dive in!

Pavlos