[ZDP] ZPublisher

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom.deprez@village.uunet.be
Sat, 8 May 1999 11:33:24 +0200

Michel,

:It is important to understand that ZPublisher is protocol independent.
:Although most of the time HTTP is used, it is also possible to use FTP,
:XML-RPC, and theoretically CORBA (although there is no current
:implimentation of either XML-RPC or CORBA).

One question dough. So ZPublisher is protocol independent.... I thought
several modules were written of ZPublisher....
PCGI, Fast CGI, ZopeHTTPServer, ....... Or, can we assume this layering,
ZPublisher below written modules :

PCGI, Fast CGI, ..... send there data to the ZPublisher (ORB) which on his
turn, goes into the database ....

So,  if you don't use Medusa or the ZopeHTTPServer, you first use a writen
pcgi, f cgi module :

e.g. HTTP req. -> Apache -> pcgi -> ZPublisher -> ....

If you use ZopeHTTPServer or Medusa : HTTP req --> ZopeHTTPServer or
edusa  --> ZPublisher -->...

Medusa can even handle FTP requests :

So, FTP req --> Medusa --> ZPublisher -->

All above schematic correct?

second q'n : why can only Medusa and ZopeHTTPServer handle direct HTTP
requests, without using a pcgi, ... module

Regards, Tom.