[ZDP] Some Zope tutorial text

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fswrul.fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed, 12 May 1999 09:56:01 +0200

More! More!
I think this type of tutorial/HowTo like text is vital for letting people
getting the first steps of the way to 'Zope Zen': seeing is believing is
true for any computer related material, as far as I am concerned, but for
Zope this is even more so (that may well be the 'Zen' part).
Ideally this tutorial would go accompanied by either screenshots or live
demo code.

> And thanks to Pavlos and many others for guidance and feedback.
>
> - Craig
> ------------------------------------

[snip great tutorial text]

Some organizatorial considerations about the ZDP
- We are collaboratively working towards a FAQ, a CoolFAQ product, a book
with meta information about the Zen of Zope and the Path To Enlightenment

- There is already a host of material of tutorial and guidance qualities.
- Everybody is working separately and in bursts (making a lot of material
available at one time and then being silent for a long time after)
- we have discussed the various ways of organizing the COOLFaq and come to
the conclusion that there would need to be many ways to access the FAQ.

Should this not also apply to the other pieces of information available (as
far as they are under ZDP control at least). The documentation should serve
many purposes:
- introducing people
- getting them started
- guide them in developing a Zope site
- help solving problems
- serve as a reference

Some people will want to read through the material as if it were a
sequential text, but stay at a high level.
Others will want to know everything about a single subject.
Others will want examples they can plunder and adapt to their own needs.

As may be read from the zdp-todo list I posted some weeks ago, the COOLFaq
was already heading in that direction. So I propose to let's try and bring
everything into the faq-line again - even if that is perhaps beyond the
original FAQ idea. Or to be more precise: make self-contained pieces of
information of different length, level of sophistication and orientation
(meta info, examples etc), and make the COOLFaq mechanism (in development?
yes?) glue them together.
If not for anything else, this has at least the advantage that not everyone
is working in a different direction as seems to be getting the case now.

Om mani Padme hum-ly

Rik Hoekstra