[ZDP] Help wanted

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom.deprez@village.uunet.be
Thu, 20 May 1999 23:15:24 +0200

Hi Howard,

 Hope you're better now. Still suffering with your health?

 Q: Why would you use an SQL database for this? And not using the Zope
structure. It's this what I'm interested of, the q'n of should I use an SQL
database or just use Zope structure, helped with ZClasses... I know that it
depends on what data you want to store. But this is sometimes not so
obvious. Thinking on our knowledge base :

Zope structure

Base
  ----- Topic 1
  ----- Topic 2
             --- SubTopic 1
                         --- Item1
                         --- Item2

SQL structure

Creating tables with index keys etc....

The problem can be solved in two ways, but what is the best?

Tom.

: Well, I was waiting for someone with experience with ZClasses to answer,
but I
: didn't see anything. I personally, having never seen ZClasses, would do
this in
: SQL, creating at least two tables, one for items, and one for the
hierarchy.
: The easiest way to do a hierarchy in SQL is to have a table with fields
ID,
: Desc, ParentID. Then you iterate, in your code, over the hierarchy by
having an
: SQL query like
: