[ZDP] The 'central person' question

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:34:54 +0100

Hi everybody,

I was just thining. This whole 'central person' issue has been more or
less forced upon us by the publishers. Although the ZDP always had
someone who took on the role of spokesperson and tried to keep the
discussion going (it was me for a while, we've had Stephan, now Tom,
others contributed here too), it was never necessary to define it so
well.

Perhaps for now we should keep it that way. If any individual is
*suited* to be that kind of person, that will become evident
automatically. If the publishers complain; we're not into this for a
published book, we're just into this to write documentation. Of course a
published book would be nice. Perhaps the publishers will talk to
individual ZDP members and try to do deals with them. That's fine too,
really. We're making ZBook, our copyright is shared, so we always get
the credit for what we write anyway if we use the Open Publication
license.

So let's just continue with what we're doing and let things progress as
they do for now. A spokesperson can talk to the publishers for us.
Explain to the publishers why we're like this (we're ad hoc and
anarchistic!), that we can't commit easily right now because of this.
Then let's see what happens.

This may be a dumb idea, but I'm just throwing it into the group to see
what people think.

Regards,

Martijn