[ZDP] Re: ZDP Style Guide

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 15:09:39 +0100

Ute Methner wrote:

> I've been thinking about and working on the style guide. This morning
> I received a request for some information, so I though it might be
> useful to post part of my reply to this list. Any feedback/questions
> from writers is welcome.
>
> Below are some sites with _good_ information on writing. The information
> on these sites is part of the style guide.

[I'll check the links out later, thanks!]

> > -One exception to punctuation rule: leave all punctuation outside the
> > quotes. For example, write: as Smith et al. state, 'the lack of
> > rigorous research does not permit us to draw universal conclusions'.
> > Note that the period is outside the last quote.

Ah, do we use hacker style quoting rules?

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Hacker-Writing-Style.html

In particular the section on quoting.

I'd agree with this; it's what I do by default anyway, and it works for
code. Of course, if the period *is* part of the thing you want to say:
"to start the foo-dot process type 'foo.'" you include the period inside
of what's quoted. :)

And-are-you-male-or-female?-ly yours,

Martijn