[ZDP] Documentation & Zbook

kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:14:38 +0200

Hi,

<From_Zope_dev_list on>
>Somehow I forget the Zbook project, oh well. And I did subscribe to the
>ZDP mailing list, with averages 2 messages in the digest mode :(.
>There should be more people supporting this. Martin, how can people get
>involved ? Is there any 'designed' chapter topics already that people
>can plug in ?
>
>Dody
<From_Zope_dev_list off>

I am really interested in participating to a Zbook project that will be the
definite guide to Zope. If people within the community want to work on this
kind of book it will be really valuable for Zope's market penetration and
as a basis for beginners to catch up with the technology and to be ready
for things coming next.

But the task is huge.
One could say that you have: Zope as a framework for new generation web
sites - Zope as an server platform.
Should we write two books or one ?
For example, if I take the 2nd area which concerns IT's, Information
Architects and ISP, I imagine the book could have the following content:

<begin>
Understanding Zope terms

Setting up a Zope server
     System requirements
     Installation steps
     Zope installation directory structure
          Important config files
     Zope with another Web server (Apache, IIS, ...): PCGI
     Virtual servers with Zope

Zope security
     Authentication with Zope
     SSL with Zope

Zope system administration
     Activity logging
     Backup and restoration
     Versioning
     Performance tuning
<end>

I know Zbook is already in a first "release" status. So we should plug in
by extending it to contain more chapters and topics ?

All my best.

Kamon
kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com
Transiciel ISR