[ZDP] Re: [Zope-PTK] Zope Documentation Portal

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:53:34 -0700

[Maik Roeder, on Fri, 28 Apr 2000]
:: I suggest changing the Zope Documentation Project to a
:: Zope Documentation Portal.
<snip>
:: The PTK project also works on this problem,
:: so I have CC'd this mail also to this list to exchange
:: some ideas. In the long term the ZDP-project needs to adopt
:: the PTK, and so discussing this early on could be beneficial.

This is, of course, a natural idea. However, the ZDP list folks may not
be aware of a recent development on the Zope-PTK front.

I'm copying Paul Everitt's announcement below. To move forward will
require settling some of the uncertainty this brings.

_________________
[Forwarded message]:

[Zope-PTK] FYI: Sad news for PTK
From: Paul Everitt <Paul@digicool.com>
To: "'zope-ptk@zope.org'" <zope-ptk@zope.org>

Howdy sports fans.  I'm a bit overdue on delivering this news.

Many of you know that Mike Pelletier has been the primary developer and
owner of PTK.  As I reported last week, Mike had to take some time off
to take care of some family matters.  Unfortunately for all of us, the
time away needs to be more permanent.

First, I'd like to give Mike a big round of applause for taking charge
of the PTK and crafting it into something truly engaging for the Zope
community.  Mike has been wonderful to work with and has really shown a
great touch in being engaged on this project and staying ahead of bugs
and features.  I wish him the best of luck in his next step.

However, this puts the PTK in a bad spot.  We at Digital Creations are
growing rapidly, but we're still resource starved for community projects
like this.  Bluntly stated, the prognosis in the very near term isn't
good for us to be the sole developer of the PTK.

Thus, there's a clear choice at hand:

o PTK cools off for some period of time.

o PTK becomes an Open Source _development_ project, with many people
getting checkin authority.

I'll leave the commentary out for this first round and open up the floor
for comments.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations