[ZDP] New activity page

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 13:30:36 +0100

--------------C636F34BB3872B75DAC19E0E

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 13:29:05 +0100
From: Rik Hoekstra <rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl>
To: Maik Roeder <roeder@berg.net>
Subject: Re: [ZDP] New activity page

<snip all sorts of good stuff. Keep up the good work Maik and Tom. Too
busy to contribute much at the moment>

> What's changed on ZDP ?

The only thing that bothers me is, that it's a bit long. Of course, this
is a good thing (because it shows how much has been done). Would it be a
good idea to make something like: 345 items changed with a link to a
details page. This would keep the page short, keep the people informed
about the activity and not bother them with too many details. Or perhaps
break down the list by meta type: 30 activities changed, 40 comments, 3
new drafts?

> Yes. I don't like the name Ressources. Maybe we should make a button
> Mailing list ? Relating to mailing lists, I have an idea: Wouldn't it
> be great to have a script which automatically uploads the mail from
> the mailing list to the ZDP site ?

This would be wonderful

> Does anyone know of such a product ?

No. It has been suggested on the list that you'd use the unix procmail
tool for this, but I do not know if that's feasible on zdp and if it's
desirable to do this without human intervention. I do not know wether
the notmail or worldpilot products have any support for this. But they
work with imap folders, which is probably not very feasible for the ZDP
site.

I myself have been working of a 'digest' type of product, that allows
people to use their mail client to sort messages into folders and upload
the mailfolders to a site. This then splits it into separate messages (a
DTML Document derivative) and makes it into  split Zope Folders. They
are then searchable by the catalog on headers and on body. This works
quite well (though I'm still working at it), and it enables end users
to use their desktop tools to sort messages. If you want, we could
extend it for ZDP. I'd be more than happy to work on it with you (if I
can find the time...). But perhaps someone has a better idea or a ready
made product.

> These emails would not be therefor reference only, but for working
> on. Emails could be ripped apart and transported into various folders
> for example as news items, or snippets, or deleted.

Yep.

Rik

--------------C636F34BB3872B75DAC19E0E--