[ZDP] Book

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:06:23 +0100

Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip yet another book offer]
> So, how many book offers/processes would that make then all in all?

I know about the O'Reilly book that one of the Digicool people is
writing. I know about two book offers to the ZDP so far. And then the
one to me. Any I missed? :)

> > But, it's unclear at the moment what the relationship between me and the
> > ZDP would be in such a circumstance. I don't want to just take from the
> > ZDP, I'd also like to contribute. I'm not quite sure how to do that, though, as
> > this book is unlikely to be completely open content. I could work on
> > ZDP documentation at the same time, but that may be duplication of
> > effort.
>
> In a formal sense, I believe you have every right to do so, as we have
> been stating that everything on the zdp site was open content.

I wasn't presuming to actually use the ZBook texts verbatim; if I'm to
write a book, I will do (most) of the writing myself. But in the process of
writing I'd be an active ZDP member; which means I'd draw on the ZDP's
resources, and at the same time give things back to it. I wouldn't want to
write the same thing twice though (once for the ZDP and once for the book),
which is what I meant with duplication of effort.

> You would
> have to give ample credits, though, as I believe that open content
> leaves personal rights untouched (it is just concerned with legal and
> money things, and I don't think/hope you can alienate personal rights
> anyway).

Naturally.

> But I'm sure perusal of the docs at zdp would be no problem.

I know there's no formal problem; but the ZDP needs to work and
I like the ZDP and I want the ZDP people to like me. :)

> > Anyway, I just don't know yet, and that's why I'm mailing this to the
> > list. Ideally there should be some way to make us all work smoothly
> > together to the advantage of all parties. So, I'm hoping you people have
> > ideas and opinions on this. I'd like your feedback to help me work things
> > out.
>
> Well, there certainly are many items the zdp doesn't touch upon. If you
> want i'm sure you'll be able to find some way of 'pre-' or 'post-'
> publication if you cover grounds the zdp does not cover.

I was vaguely considering things like extra appendices to the book that
I could publish as part of the ZDP.

> Or use the site as an outlet for code samples?

That's another idea; I could create somekind of interactive Zope tutorial
on the ZDP site.. I'll do some more thinking. More suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Regards,

Martijn