[ZDP] ZDP Site Feedback

George Runyan grunyan@emerging.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:58:14 -0500

Maik and ZDP,

> Good idea ! Something like [Go directly to the link] or [Skip
> description
> and go directly to the link] or ... How would one best put this ?

I would just 'assume' that no one wants to see that extra click.  and if
there is no body, just dont prompt them w/ 'skip description' for there is
NO description.  but if there is a description I would say:
Direct2Link or Direct2Site (or something like that -- I work in a buzzword
environment and summon them with ease 8)

> > How about if there is no 'body' content not putting a 'Read More...'
> > link (lessen the options) ?
>
> Right, I will add a check for this.

GREAT! :)

> I have not played with RSS, but I figure it is not unsimilar to XML ?
> This could be a Topic in the Developers Community under Syndication,
> I guess. It would be great if someone could help me with that.

I will put this in Syndication, I'm starting to get lost wandering around
the site :(  this is difficult work, wouldnt it be nice if eventually we
structured this so ZDP could be easily incorporated into the ODP?
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Application/Zope/  (this
is a very good thing, I believe)

> I can do something quick, but it will look much nicer once I have met
> with Christian Scholz, who will help with the layout of ZDP. A meeting
> in Aachen with Christian in the next days is very probable.

cool.  I hope the layout is thought through very carefully.  a large website
that changes and a 'common metaphor' are very important for wide acceptance.
I believe the ZDP will end up w/ as much if not more traffic than zope.org
(I look more for information about zope use (help and howto's) than about
the product).  What in zope.org should be bettered?  the how-to layout
obviously could be bettered by the Topics product Michel was playing with...
(?)  this goes back to ODP style struct, IMHO.

> To have a Sitemap is another good idea ! I will see what I can do
> quickly, and post all changes on the mailing list.

excellent.  I'm not really one, but I think a interesting approach to a
sitemap (using a tab/folder metaphor) will yield best results.  you have the
potential for lots of data.

> George, I would like to thank you very much for your comments
> and suggestions on the ZDP site - it is really appreciated !

I just havent had much time lately :(  -- I really want to help out, but
could only spend maybe 15-30 minutes a day helping out and I never had a
point of reference of 'things to check out' (RSS maybe could help?  these
are the latest things UPDATED/NEED TO BE APPROVED/NEED COMMENTS/etc) I
believe this use to be on the frontpage but is somewhere else now.  what
about STATUSes to each bit of information?  what are the 'states' of
information?

again, sorry I havent been able to keep up.  but I feel like ZDP is probably
a place I could spend lots of time and energy.  I just have found it very
hard to figure out where I can make a impact.  I write fairly well, I can
test code, I've been using ZOPE for awhile, I'm very vocal.  I can spend
~15-30 minutes a day if I can goto a url w/ 'things to do' first thing I do
is goto a url I created that has: ZopeNewbies, Zope Product RSS, theRegister
RSS (seems they have broken it, as of late), Oreillynet rss and quite a few
others.  Since I'm still enchanted by ZOPE I was thinking about registering
and creating a portal like thing called myZope.org or something where you
could mix and match all of your zope content you wanted to keep current on.
but I just DONT have time :(   everyone wants to keep current :)  I'm beaten
down with so much email these days, I like going to fetch my tasks than
rather having all of these REQUESTS bombarding my email.

george runyan