[ZDP] On possible implementations of topic, subtopic, category and keyword inZDPZDP

Kankiewicz kankie@thegrid.net
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:13:06 -0800

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

> [RH] OK, can't currently see what the implications are of ZCataloged
> hierarchies. Wait a minute: that also means you could point to not only
> other relevant topics per se, but also to possible other _contexts_ (in the
> sense of places in other hierarchies.
Yes.

> If I may associate a little more (this
> being sunday evening): this has a lot to do with the XML concepts of topic
> maps and architectural forms (if that means anything to anyone). With other
> discussions about XML and XSL on the main ZOpe lists in mind: would it be a
> way to represent our 'knowledge' in topic map like fashion?

I think I follow you, look at how the topics expand (sort of like
keywords), at the same time you can acquire them and have a easy way to
follow other subjects which use the topic.
It makes a (virtual) hierarchy out of a limited set of subjects/topics.
One person defines 10 subjects and 10 topics and the hierarchy might
display a full 100 if you use that many.

The Terminology is really a headache, its a Topic Map, it
inherits/acquires, and I'm sure it makes a neat "architectural form"...
I know more terms that apply :)

> [RH]Granted: keywords will have to be controlled. Still, would you be able
> to do without keywords altogether?

I'm not sure, I guess you could leave them as a description/searchable
type list and/or have a central list 'controlled' and pull them from
there.

> [RH] Good. And don't forget Maik, who designed the whole ZDP Tools
> altogether.
I won't and Maik, you, did a great job!

David