[ZDP] Re: Ordering objects and ZDP Tools (again)

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:06:23 +0100

Hi Rik !

Some quick questions ...

Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> - each folder/container type defines has a custom property named
> 'orderpropname' (for example FAQFolderorder).

What do you need the name "FAQFolderorder" for ?

> - when a new instance is added to it, it is checked there is a orderpropname
> (I still have to overcome the acquisitionproblem here) for the container.

Why do you want to check whether the orderpropname is defined for the container ?

> If there is, the instance gets a local property orderpropname, and a value of
> 2000000 (or some arbitrarily large number). Your proposal of a default 0
> seemed me to be not so intuitive to use for users changing orders, because
> they have to put in numbers themselves.

1. New objects could be listed first when you use 0, but would not need to be.
2. Deleting a value of "2000000" is not a nice thing to do when you have many new items
   you want to order

> Unless, of course, you regard 0 as an exceptional category, which I'm not sure I am for
> anyway. (Surpassing 2000000 items in a container wouldn't seem like a good idea anyway)

I don't unterstand what you mean with "exeptional category"

> the rest is as we discussed before:
> - ordering in the container is according to the values of the orderpropname,
> only items with an orderpropname property set will get listed

This would be up to the view.

> - changing order is by a form with 'records' fields for all items.
> etc.

I don't know what a "records" field is.

> If this proposal is carried out, it would mean giving quite a lot of folder
> items a custom property (that is a custom propertysheet as well).

No need for a custom propertysheet. You just add "orderpropname" to the standard
DocumentFolder ZClass propertysheet.

> WOuld this cross your thoughts of maintainability of the ZDP Tools?

It would be nice if you can always be sure that the property exists, so putting
it in the DocumentFolder (from which all other ZClasses inherit), is the
best way.

> Any other drawbacks I haven't thought of?
> Does this it seem feasible to integrate this with hierarchies?

I don't understand what you mean with "integration with hierarchies".

Greetings,

Maik Röder