[ZDP] CSS

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 08 May 2000 18:58:51 +0100

> I don't think we should use Stylesheets. We have had some problems
> with stylesheets before, and I don't want to go through that again.

Hmmm, what sort of problems?
I'm not recommending full-blown bells and whistles CSS, just the same as
you'd find on www.zope.org and zope.nipltd.com. It's just to sort out
the fonts and make some of the colouring a bit nicer. A good test for
any CSS site is to design it, then check it in Netscape 4, IE 4 and
finally Netscape 3.
This last one is the key one, it's not expected to look 'nice' but is
should be readable and usuable. Both of the sites I mention above are...

> The ZDP site should be as simple as possible, and load as fast as possible.
> CSS would only mean some more precious bytes that need to be loaded.

Not really, the CSS I use comes in at 1215 bytes. It could be cached,
and besides, it's much smaller than any of the bitmaps on the site ;-)

> I wish each page would load under one second to make surfing the
> site really swift.

Sorry, this already doesn't happen. It's not my connection either, I get
the page header (with the mole ;-) and then wait while the rest
arrives...

> People just need the docs, and don't care about the
> look.

Hmmm, I'm going to have to disagree here ;-)

The usability of a site, particularly one centered on documentation, is
largely dependent on its look and feel. The main reason _I_ don't use
ZDP to find my documentation yet is 'cos it's not presented in a way
that I find easy to read and navigate.

That may sound harsh but I'm pretty sure I'm just being honest :-S

Hope I can help in some way...

Chris