[ZDP] Submitting Itamar's draft

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Tue, 09 May 2000 19:10:09 +0200

Hi Tom !

Tom Deprez wrote:
> >I have already created a LinkFolder in my Member Folder and inside it
> >are now some links that are now happily collected inside many different
> >Portals. This idea is originally from the PTK people, but I never
> >quite understood just why it could be useful, because I always thought
> >we may be able to store everything in a Document hierarchy.
> >
> >Perhaps keeping a Document Hierarchy is not necessary for stuff that
> >can change a lot in shap like Drafts. Also Links often can hardly be put
> >inside a Document Hierarchy, and can better be collected inside a
> >Subject or Topic.
>
> Uhm, can you give more info? What sort of links have you added? ie. url links?

Go to the page:

http://zdp.zope.org/members/maik/links

Example:

Meta: WebSiteLink
Id: 957888197
Name: I18N product
Nickname: I18N product
Community: I18N SIG
Subject: Links
Topic: Link
This is a quick start at "themable"
or "skin-based"
internationalization.

This will show up in the Portal for I18N.

> Or do you just mean we can put everything (with links as example) in a
> member folder and all things added are just catalogised?

Yes. This way we don't need to worry about Containment, and can concentrate
on the meta hierarchy. I am still not sure if we should go this way for
everything, but for the Links this has already proven to be a great thing,
because I once had a Subject Internationalisation for Developers, which
I deleted because we now have a SIG on I18N. I only had to change the link
in my member folder to a new Community. This is also one of the weak points,
because there may be links that are no more looked up in a Portal, because
the meta information is outdated.

I wonder how the PTK handles this.

Greetings,

Maik Röder