[ZDP] Beginners Guides

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 11:47:17 +0100

Maik Roeder wrote:
> > It strikes me that one of Zope's problems is that there's no obvious
> > course of action for a beginner, so lets create one. How about adding a
> > new portal: 'New Zope Users'
>
> Yes, or what about Zope Newbies ?

To be honest, the people who may use this may not even know what a
'newbie' is ;-)

> We need quality so we need to be picky !

Okay, I already was with the above comment ;-)

> I think we have a small problem with the SIGs. We need to list
> them on the front page, but they must be separate from the
> rest so we don't confuse people.

Hence a 'SIG portal', it works for me...

> On the front page I would like to have just the Portals. Is it
> unrealistic to assume that people will select their Portal
> without a short introduction ?

Yup, never underestimate people's lack of ability to understand
something that makes sense to you...

I was thinking more about a small bit of text below 'ZDP Portals' saying
something like 'please click on the link below that best described you
and what you want to do with Zope.'

> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Projects/Tutorial
>
> We should work together with Amos to make this a great resource.

Aha, Amos didn't know that NIP had done the mailing list archives (one
of the things on his to-do list) and we didn't know eh'd done the
tutorial.
Does the Zope community have a communication problem?
Oh yes, that's why we're build the Zope Documentation Portal ;-)

> We need to link to the Tutorial once we have installed it on
> ZDP.

Definitely, I see it making up most of the 'New Zope Users' portal, but
the filtered FAQs and jump off links will still have to be done...

Okay, next guess at how the front page should look:

Prospective Zope Users & Developers   New Zope Users & Developers
Zope Users                            Zope Developers
Zope Administrators                   Zope Hackers
                       Web Designers

Documentation Projects                Special Interest Groups
[Zope Book, ZQR, Snippets, FAQ]       [PTK, ZDP, ZEO ...]

More comments? ;-)

Chris