[ZDP] Re: [Zope] The agony of the ZOPE Documentation

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 20:12:58 -0600

Chris Withers wrote:

> My views...
>
> Zope.org is very out of date now. I think ZDP is actually closer to what
> Zope.org should be, but the implementaion sucks.
>
> What 'The Zope Portal' should have:
>
> -Members section/portal, as it currently is.
>
> -Products section/portal, as it is. how do we integrate docs from these?
>
> -The new portals from the ZDP (these are pretty much correct, I think)
> so people can get to all the stuff relevant to them (particularly
> newbies) quickly and easily.

See, I like the portals approach. My problem is that many areas of the
ZDP portals are blank, despite the fact that documentation does exist
(for example, installation has no info about installing in linux,
despite the installation tutorial on zope.org).

How can we automagically propogate things to ZDP from zope.org and
vice-versa?

> -A 'Reference' section containing ZBook and ZQR. This would also need a
> new DTML reference, and an API Reference. This is for people who know
> what they're looking for and just want to check/find details. All these
> references should be stored in small chunks, though, so they can be
> extensively referenced from elsewhere (like in the portal...)

True... it's my understanding that the DTML reference is undergoing
revision, but I know no more than that.

[snip good doc-tools discussion]

I think we should think about ways to syndicate documentation, using
xml-rpc or simply RSS, so that other sites (or at least zope.org and
zdp.zope.org) can talk to each other about what they have availiable.

> I liked this a lot...
> > It might be better if all information were contained in all portals,
> > but organized differently.
>
> I agree with Maik, we now have all the players at the same table, so
> lets get this card game going so we can all be winners :-)

Sounds good to me.

> PS: What would you (Ethan) see as the uses for zope.com, zope.org and
> zope.net respectively?

I see Zope.org as being the "library" of Zope, where all documentation
and software packages reside.

I see Zope.net as being the "Discothèque" of Zope, where there are
articles about zope in the world, #zope irc chat-channel and chat
events, and other community-ish things.

Zope.com would be the "market square" of zope, kindof an expanded zope
solutions provider section, as well as possibly some sourceXchange ish
project, so people can find zope consultants when they need it.

~ethan mindlace@digicool.com