[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Zope

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 03:01:14 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/UsingZope.stx#3-9

---------------

      Zope for Windows comes as a self-installing *.exe* file.  To
      install Zope, double click on the installer. The installer walks
      you through the installation process.

        % Anonymous User - May 29, 2002 5:23 pm:
         What versions of Windows does Zope work on? Will it work with Win 95/98/ME, or only NT/2000? -- Oryx3

        % mcdonc - May 29, 2002 5:29 pm:
         It "officially" works on Windows NT/2000, although it reportedly also works fine on 95/98/ME and XP.

        % Anonymous User - July 24, 2002 12:47 pm:
         I'm using it on Windoze-Xp and it runs and feels like a solid app.
         Of course, I am weaning myself of M$S products in favour of Liunux, NetBSD and FreeBSD via GNOME 2 or KDE 3,
         so I hope it's just as easy to install on those platforms too.

        % Anonymous User - July 24, 2002 12:50 pm:
         ...and by the way, I leave my Windoze machine on 24/7 and keep Zope on just to see how it behaves with my
         other apps. It just keeps humming away using little resources hoping to get its share of requests. :-)
         Awesome product (so far!!).

         Romulus
         =========

        % bazzo - Aug. 4, 2002 8:28 am:
         Zope 2.5.1 does not run on my Win98. After installation I d/clicked START.BAT, after quite a while I got the
         result about mounting the database, but when I inserted http://localhost:8080/manage at the IE I got "Server
         not found"
         I would have looked into the FAQ before if I would have found...
         But everything sounds so interesting that I will carry on!
         with greetings from Germany
         bazzo

        % bazzo - Aug. 4, 2002 8:33 am:
         Hey, now this is funny!!
         After I clicked on that localhost-link in my own comment before that site opened, asking for my login - now
         it works......
         strange

         bazzo (carrying on)

        % Anonymous User - Aug. 26, 2002 3:01 am:
         running on 98se without a hitch... only stumbling block (at first) was zope's command line interface, which,
         the first time i ran start.bat, wasn't quite as, uh, blunt ;) as i may have liked - that is, it didn't
         display anything to the effect of "zope is now fully loaded and running... feel free to go test out that
         localhost:8080 link now". what can i say, i like to have my hand held ;)
         anyway, for the curious (and, like me, exceedingly dense :P), once you've run start.bat and the command-line
         window pops up, wait for a message to the effect of "ZServer HTTP server started" followed by your hostname
         and port number (this comes after the message about opening and mounting the database, and it may take quite
         a bit longer than you'd expect the first time you run it) - then you're good to go.