[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Creating Basic Zope Applications

nobody@nowhere.com nobody@nowhere.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 04:25:03 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/SimpleExamples.stx#3-20

---------------

      Now, you need a front page that serves as the welcome screen
      for Zoo visitors.  Let's create a DTML Method in the *ZopeZoo* folder
      called *index_html* with the following content::

        <dtml-var standard_html_header>

          <h1>Welcome to the Zope Zoo</h1>

          the <b><dtml-var getId></b> section.</p>

        <dtml-var standard_html_footer>

        % twalter - Apr. 20, 2002 8:04 pm:
         I know it is stated correctly here, but since I tripped, I would add comments to the effect that a DTML
         Document called index_html will not work. It must be a DTML Method. (You can see my comments also in "Using
         Basic Zope Objects" chapter, "Comparing DTML Documents and Methods" section. If it had been there, I probably
         would not have needed anything here also.)

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 27, 2002 11:22 pm:
         Why a method - it looks like content - is index_html an exception to the doc v. method rule because it
         attaches to the folder instead of creating a new file? (I'm guessing.)

        % Anonymous User - May 27, 2002 12:17 am:
         I didn't catch that either, until I hit it, couldn't figure it out, and read the above comment.

        % Anonymous User - June 4, 2002 7:00 pm:
         Just to confirm the earlier comment, I had to use a DTML Method to get it to work too.

        % Anonymous User - June 14, 2002 11:01 pm:
         Is it just me or does the fact that a dtml method is required and a document doesn't work a bit arbitrary? Maybe
         I don't fully understand the semantics of dtml docs vs methods, but if there's an expert who can discuss that
         at this point in the tutorial, it would likely be very useful.

        % Anonymous User - June 21, 2002 5:46 am:
         Well, it's just a question of namespaces.

         objectValues() is [] when used in a DTML document -> a document is an object
         that can properties and subobjects. In the case of a DTML document it can
         only have properties.

         objectValues() in a DTMLMethod lists all siblings of the method because a
         Method is not a "Zope Object".

         yacc

        % Anonymous User - Aug. 28, 2002 4:25 am:
         I do not understand the above explication: "a document is an object that can
         (have) properties an subojects"(???) How can a document have subobjects?
         The method "objectValues" belongs to class ObjectManager. How is this connected
         to either DTML Document or DTML Method?