[ZDP] BackTalk to Document Zope Developer's Guide (2.4 edition)/Security

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:12:54 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/Security.stx#3-76

---------------

      If a base class which has already been run through
      "InitializeClass" is inherited by a superclass, nothing special
      needs to be done to protect the base class' methods within the
      superclass unless you wish to modify the declarations made in
      the base class.  The security declarations "filter down" into
      the superclass.

        % rboylan - July 20, 2002 2:10 am:
         I really hope all occurrences of "superclass" in the preceding paragraph should be "subclass", or else I'm
         very confused.

        % jhohm - Sep. 5, 2002 7:40 pm:
         That's the trouble with "superclass" and "subclass". The author intended that "superclass" indicate the
         derived class that inherits from the "subclass", so the "superclass" has features that are a superset of the
         "subclass". Others tend to look at things the opposite way. I propose using "base class" and "derived class"
         consistently, as they are commonly understood.

        % Anonymous User - Oct. 3, 2002 7:12 am:
         That's just plain wrong. "superclass" and "subclass" are well-defined object-oriented programming terms,
         which the author is using wrongly here. You can't "look at it the opposite way".