[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Zope

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:43:36 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/UsingZope.stx#3-29

---------------

      Run the *start* script::

        $ ./start &

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 30, 2002 3:39 am:
         Hi
         Where do you find the start script?? ( Same question for the bat file in Windows)

         ola.engstrom@astrazeneca.com

        % Anonymous User - Apr. 30, 2002 10:10 am:
         in the "Zope-version-linux2-x86" dir

        % Anonymous User - May 8, 2002 10:53 am:
         start script is generated by the install script. If it is not there Zope might
         not be installed correctly.

        % Anonymous User - May 16, 2002 2:45 am:
         I think the key point here is how to start zope when a Zope...rpm package is installed, instead of a tar.gz
         package.

        % Anonymous User - May 17, 2002 9:28 pm:
         exactly.... how do you do this? I'm looking all over and I can't seem to find a way to start zope now that
         I've installed from an RPM

        % Anonymous User - May 18, 2002 7:26 am:
         Here on the debian (woody) there is an *init script* on /etc/init/zope that you can start like
         '/etc/init/zope start'. The /etc/init/zope scripts then runs
         a *shell script* called 'zopectl' (in /usr/sbin/zopectl). Zopectl then essentially starts a *python script*
         '/usr/sbin/zope-z2'. You can hook in anywhere. RPM might be slightly different though.

        % Anonymous User - June 25, 2002 6:35 pm:
         I'm on mandrake, installed from rpm, searched /etc and /usr for *start* *zope* and only thing I've found is
         this :
         /usr/share/zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py

         Which says it doesn't have the right permissions running as root and it didn't put it into the start up
         process for the next reboot. Am I missing something?
         Or have I got too much already?

        % Anonymous User - July 10, 2002 9:33 am:
         If you are using an RPM installed version of Zope you can find out where it put the start and stop scripts by
         doing 'rpm -ql | grep start' and 'rpm -ql | grep stop'
         The -ql parameters are for 'q'uery and 'l'ist (files in rpm, that is)

         The two above rpm commands should list exactly where to find the start and stop scripts...  hope that helps!

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 6, 2002 11:40 am:
         On SuSE, './start' (as root) works only after having set
         $ZOPEHOME/var to world-writable.

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 25, 2002 5:24 pm:
         zope is awesome but too hard to install and configure on linux, it should be more like the win version

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 26, 2002 2:40 pm:
         well, the command properly spelled shold be

           rpm -ql zope | grep start

          anyway, in my suse 8.0 I get /opt/zope/ZServer/medusa/start_medusa.pyc

         I suppose that the pyc is a python script, but I know nothing about phython.
         Somebody knows if this is the right script?

        % Anonymous User - Oct. 6, 2002 3:33 pm:
         Why the heck does the book not mention anything about making zope work with the web server?

        % Anonymous User - Oct. 6, 2002 4:43 pm:
         in suse 8.0 the script to run is

         /opt/zope/z2.py