[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Basic Zope Objects

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:56:22 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/BasicObject.stx#3-40

---------------

      Type in an *Id* for the new Document and click *Add*.  After
      clicking *Add*, you will be taken back to the management
      screen. There you will see your new page template.

        % Anonymous User - May 16, 2002 6:58 pm:
         This section is a bit confusing. There should be a predefined template that the user loads, or not show
         expository writing that goes nowhere (erewhon?).

        % Anonymous User - May 19, 2002 1:55 pm:
         Well, I've read enough. I've been through a "tutorial" that doesn't appear to exist (only the samples), to
         directions on using buttons and fields that aren't there, to not knowing exactly what Zope actually contains
         (and I mean the useful things, not technospeak 'features'.)
         Thank you for alienating another upper management decisionmaker.  I'm through with Zope.

        % Anonymous User - May 19, 2002 2:01 pm:
         That's a shame. I was looking forward to politely replying to a few more of your insulting and childish rants
         today. ;-)

        % Anonymous User - May 23, 2002 6:06 pm:
         This is all very easy to understand... Man, even I managed to figure out that "view" is actually "test"
         unless its an actual DTML doc and didn't even slow down. So far so good. Very interesting stuff. Been waiting
         for something like this for a while (open source -- I know all the big guns have it for a much larger
         price....) :^)

        % Anonymous User - May 24, 2002 11:41 am:
         I'll second the above comment regarding ease of use and clarity
         of the book (and Zope).

         If the "upper management decisionmaker" makes all decisions this
         way, I'd like to know the name of the company and go short with
         it. ;)

         (Sorry, couldn't resist the flamebait...)

        % Anonymous User - June 13, 2002 7:38 pm:
         Agreed. What the "upper management decision-maker" doesn't realize is that there are probably dozens of
         people here who would gladly help him/her walk through the tutorial and make sense of Zope. Note to other
         upper-management types who may be viewing this dialogue: The open-source community is generally very patient
         with people who are just getting started. Our friend who had the tantrums gave up before realizing that.

        % Anonymous User - June 27, 2002 5:36 pm:
         Upper Management "DECISION MAKER", that is exactly the PROBLEM!!!
         did you ever wonder why so many tech companies are going under after wasting their money!!
         Let the technical experts make the technical decisions and you show the board the pretty pictures.
         Thank you

        % Anonymous User - Aug. 24, 2002 11:08 pm:
         Agreed, upper management should keep its hands off the hardware and out of the software. Pity they have to
         evaluate it to diecide whether to use it.

        % Anonymous User - Sep. 29, 2002 12:56 pm:
         I share some of the frustration of the decision-maker, but not being giddy from the rarefied air of the
         heights of management, am not yet ready to give up. In fact, I can;t having already paid some developers to
         create a site for me which they have not explained, so I must make sense of it all somehow.