[ZDP] BackTalk to Document Zope Developer's Guide (2.4 edition)/Object Publishing

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:27:13 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/ObjectPublishing.stx#2-7

---------------

    The chapter will also cover all the technical details, special
    cases and extra-steps that this list glosses over.

      % Anonymous User - Dec. 31, 2002 2:56 pm:
       Previously, it was written that the objects response was passed back to the web browser by the Zope web
       server. Then it was written that the object's respoce was "interpreted" by ZPublisher. Which is true? What
       does "interepreted" mean?

      % terry - Apr. 29, 2003 10:27 pm:
       This section omits a useful piece of information -- where does Zope get the
       first object?  This information is in Ch 7, but deeply buried, so I actually
       got the answer from the mailing list.  I think you need a reference here too:

       import Zope
       root_object = Zope.app()

       Doing a dir(root_object) will show you your root folder in your Zope instance!
       Which is really cool for development testing and introspecting your existing
       objects.