[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Using Basic Zope Objects

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:02:39 -0500

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/BasicObject.stx#3-26

---------------

      Temporary folders store their contents in RAM rather than in the
      Zope database. This makes them appropriate for storing small
      objects that receive lots of writes, such as session data.
      However, it's a bad idea use temporary folders to store large
      objects because your computer can potentially run out of RAM as
      a result.

        % Anonymous User - July 2, 2002 2:25 pm:
         How much RAM do we need to save "default" session data for each user? Thanks.

        % Anonymous User - July 2, 2002 2:28 pm:
         There is no such thing as "default" session data. You can estimate the amount of RAM required for each
         session by computing the size of each element you add to each session (key and value) multipled by maybe 1.5
         to account for overhead.

        % Anonymous User - Dec. 5, 2002 2:28 pm:
         How does a newbie determine the keys and values he/she is adding to a session/ Is there a property that
         controls this? An easy way to view what is being retained?

        % Anonymous User - Dec. 5, 2002 2:40 pm:
         A session only retains what you put into it. Your code populates the session. If you need to see a summary of
         what's in your session, you might get away with writing a Python script that just returns the repr() of a
         session object:
         return repr(context.REQUEST.SESSION)

        % aathan - Jan. 24, 2003 4:02 pm:
         Note: Release 2.6.0 and 2.6.1b1 have serious session tracking bugs. Do not get frustrated if it looks like
         your session object "disappears" between requests. I will post a solution here once I have tested it.