[ZDP] Teaching Newbies ZPT

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
13 May 2003 10:05:40 -0400

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 12:18, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> So, this might sound kind of radical, but couldn't we change the default
> index_html from a DTML method to a Page Template? Furthermore, is there
> any reason to still keep standard_html_header/footer around? I'm certain
> that at least index_html as Page Template would change a lot in the
> behaviour of newbies.

I'm not all that keen on changing the stuff; it's not (yet) broke. ;-)
However, if you feel strongly about it, I'd consider bringing it up on
the Zope maillist and proposing it for Zope 2.8.

> > FWIW, the 2.6 edition of the Zope Book goes in to a fair amount of
> > detail about the difference between ZPT and DTML and where it is advised
> > to use one over the other.  It's very prominent in the docs, but as I
> > said, I'm not sure that people really read them this closely.
>
> Yes, I agree. People will install Zope and try to play around with it,
> maybe even do the tutorial. And guess what, the tutorial is still
> suggesting DTML. This is what I meant with checking the docs where they
> still mention DTML...

The tutorial was written before ZPT existed... it badly needs an
update.  It hasn't been touched in years.  Unfortunately, it will only
continue to rot until someone gets indignant enough to update it.
Perhaps this can be proposed for Zope 2.8 as well?

- C