[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Using Zope Page Templates

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Thu Nov 20 04:17:48 EST 2003

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ZPT.stx#2-27

---------------

    Every path starts with a variable name. If the variable contains
    the value you want, you stop there.  Otherwise, you add a slash
    ('/') and the name of a sub-object or property.  You may need to
    work your way through several sub-objects to get to the value
    you're looking for.

      % Anonymous User - Nov. 20, 2003 4:17 am:
       Newbie confusion:

       Every path starts with a variable name....

       So 'user', 'home', 'here', 'template', 'request' and 'container' are variables?

       You add a slash (/) and the name of a sub-object or property....

       What is a property? Can you please give me an example of a property?
       Even better. Five examples of properties, how they can be used and why they are cool.

       I've got all these words jumbling around in my head:

       object, value, variable, property, path, expression... the subtle differences in meanings are getting
       smudged....
       My understanding of OOP is that everything is an object and objects consist of data and methods, I suppose
       that sub-objects could be referenced using path notation /rootobject/sub-object/sub-object
       But what is a property?

       Where do properties fit into the jigsaw puzzle?

       I think this tutorial needs a whole subsection on properties.