[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.6 Edition)/Acquisition

webmaster at zope.org webmaster at zope.org
Fri Apr 23 11:20:35 EDT 2004

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/Acquisition.stx#2-22

---------------

    Aquisition is not limited to searching a containment hierarchy: it
    can also search a *context hierarchy*.  Acquisition by context is
    terribly difficult to explain, and you should avoid it if
    possible.  However, if you want more information about aquiring
    via a context and you are ready to have your brain explode, please
    see the presentation named "Acquisition
    Algebra":http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/Info/IPC8/AcquisitionAlgebra/index.html.

      % Anonymous User - Mar. 31, 2004 2:22 pm:
       The description of class inheritance earlier was useful, but this should tie it into the concept of
       aquisition a bit more. It would appear (I think?) that a class is created for each unique object at each
       level of the containment hierarchy and that aquisition is really just glorified subclassing. Some additional
       explanation of how these directly correspond might be helpful. For instance, the earlier text makes a point
       of describing python's multiple inheritance rules; how are those relevant for aquisition?

      % Anonymous User - Apr. 23, 2004 11:20 am:
       I don't know anything about Zope, and this point is as far as I have gotten in the manual so far. To me it
       would seem that some of the classes would be "Folder", "DTML Method", etc. Each unique object would then be
       an instance. So acquisition for a folder means that each folder instance appears to contain the object
       instances that its parent's instances contain. So, while it has a similar effect to subclassing, it works on
       instances instead of classes, and except for "Context Acquisition" it seems to always behave like single
       inheritance.