[ZODB-Dev] Copying filestorage file while program is running

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:22:53 +0200

My client just asked me if it's safe for him to backup
the xxx.fs file when he has saved, or if he must close
the program first. (The only thing I do on "save" is
get_transaction().commit().)

Is it?

Might I need to do more in my save-method?

Is there any clever/safer way to make a backup of the
database from the code?

What about the tmp- and index-files? Might we need them?

We're running ZODB3 with python 2.2 and Win2k.

I assume that ZODB fully updates the file when the
transaction is committed, but I'm not certain about
Windows flushing things and so on.

On a related subject, what happens when Windows crashes
with the program running? Can we be certain that all
committed transactions are in the file, amd that it's
not corrupted when we start the computer again?
(Something more elaborate then "No" would be very helpful. ;)

TIA, Magnus

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5