[ZODB-Dev] Copying filestorage file while program is running

Ury Marshak um@hottech-israel.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:01:12 +0200

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> > What about the tmp- and index-files? Might we need them?
>
> tmp- you *never* need.
>
> index- I suggest not backing up. It is only used to make startup faster.
Not
> having it will make startup a little slower until a new index- is written.
If
> your database has changed since the index was written then it will not be
> used anyway.

I was thinkng about using the following approach - performing a pack,
and backing up a .old file, while the work may continue with the new
.fs file. Does this sound reasonable, or am I missing something
crucial? This is running under ZEO, so its not feasible to warn
all the users 'stop working, I'm running backup'. If there is a way
to perform a hot backup remotely, from the client machine,
that would be even better.

As a side question: what would be the correct way to shut ZEO down?
ATM I'm just killing the server process, is there a less rude way to
perform a clean shutdown?

Ury