[ZODB-Dev] zodb best practices

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Oct 3 09:28:36 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 04:46:52PM -0500, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> Are there any significant advantages or disadvantages to either
> maintaining a large dataset in a single db or dividing it into multiple
> much smaller dbs?

Several of my Filestorages (Data.fs) have peaked around 3 GB.
I have not seen any performance issues with these that I could
blame on the database.

However, keep in mind that a single multi-gigabyte file is
quite unwieldy for making backups, and for examination to
try to fix corruption if something disastrous happens...
Both of these have been issues for me.

You might look at DirectoryStorage running on reiserfs, which
should scale to much larger sizes.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com