[ZODB-Dev] BTree ranges

John Belmonte jvb at prairienet.org
Mon Oct 6 23:03:06 EDT 2003

Tim Peters wrote:
> Again, I'm not claiming that closed search is always-- or even most
> often --the most appropriate form of search.  But it is sometimes, and for
> *some* apps most of the time.

>>Note also that with closed ranges, there is no way to specify an empty
>>range.
>
> You've apparently read my comments whining about this in the C
> implementation of BTree range searches <0.9 wink>.  An empty range is
> specified at the Python level by passing (any) min and (any) max with min >
> max, BTW.

I haven't read your comments, but rather computer science texts that
explain the advantages of half-open ranges.  I'm going to close my end
of the argument by saying that I can point to huge libraries, such as
the C++ STL, reviewed over many years by professionals and academics
alike, that do not contain a single use of closed ranges.  There is good
reason for it.  The use of closed ranges in the BTree containers was a
mis-design, and it should be deprecated and then eliminated.

Although we weren't able to agree here, I still hope I'll have
opportunities to cooperate with you in the future.

Regards,
-John

--
http:// if   le.o  /