[ZODB-Dev] Backing up a ZODB

Peter Schüller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Oct 29 16:50:07 EST 2003

Hello,

I've been reading quite a lot about Zope and ZODB in the past few days; and
while it all seems like a very robust solution, I have seen no references in
the docs on backing up a ZODB database.

I've been asking around a bit on #zope and the most promising I've heard so
far is copying Data.fs and basically hoping for the best; using a recovery
tool afterwards. The idea being that it will work because filestorage just
appends pickels.

But what about packing? If the database is undergoing packing, surely this
would break things.

Is there any way of making a hot backup of a ZODB - that is algorithmically
guaranteed to yield a consistent snapshot of the database - without shutting
down the database for the procedure?

If not, what do major sites do about the problem?

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org