[ZODB-Dev] Backing up a ZODB

Neil Schemenauer nas at mems-exchange.org
Wed Oct 29 17:53:31 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:41:45PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> That little status byte is first set to 'c', then the new
> transaction is appended, and then it seeks back to the location of
> the status byte and overwrites it with a blank.  That's the way in
> which filestorage isn't changed solely by appending.

Interesting.  Is that done because the size of the transaction is
not known before it is written?  If it was, you could write the
marker after the transaction.  That's how it worked in my head
(obviously not corresponding to reality).  Ie.

    <transaction size><transaction data><status byte>...

We copy filestorages all the time.  It's a bummer that there is a
small chance it will fail.  We are using repozo to backup the live
database so I'm not too worried.

  Neil