[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Persistent module notes and proposal

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Mon Jan 5 11:26:18 EST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:02:57 -0500
Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> One particular issue has to do with the scope of persistent modules.
> I propose that, at least for Zope 3, persistent modules should contain
> only software and that the state of persistent modules should be fully
> expressed by their source. This implied that persistent modules in Zope 3
> should not contain any objects that are mutated outside of the execution
> of the modules, such as registries, counters, etc.

This certainly sounds reasonable. We need to make sure this is enforced at some level though, preferrably through software (disallowing mutating globals in the module somehow) or at least through very strong documentation (such as a comment at the top of the module that appears by default or an electrostatic charge administered to the chair of the respective programmmer). Otherwise I sense an endless barrage of newbie FAQs re this in our future...

-Casey