[ZODB-Dev] mkzeoinst.py without ZOPE

John Belmonte john at neggie.net
Wed Jan 7 19:20:41 EST 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> Actually, daemon mode is a bit different.  Running runzeo.py will run a
> ZEO server.  Running it under the control of zdaemon will run it as a
> daemon program.

I see.  The zdaemon system seems a little overkill to me, or I should
say that the idea of needing to babysit a server to restart in case of a
crash doesn't give me much confidence in ZEO.  I attempted to use
Debian's start-stop-daemon instead, but for some reason I can't connect
to the ZEO server when I use the background option.

I wish zdaemon supported a pid file, which is a standard thing for
daemon programs.  In my case I have a cron job that does some
maintenance on my database, and I was using the ZEO server pid file to
let the job know that it's safe to run.  Now I guess I'll have to run
"zdctl status" and parse the output, which seems a bit fragile.

-John

--
http:// if  ile.o g/