[ZODB-Dev] RE: [Zope-Coders] revising layout of ZODB3 checkout

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred at zope.com
Thu Jan 8 23:45:47 EST 2004

Tim Peters writes:
 > Then what ZODB "looks like" would differ between a Zope checkout and a ZODB3
 > checkout?  If so, that sounds like a candidate for causing worse confusion
 > than we have now.

They differ now.  ZODB 3, Zope 2, and Zope 3 use three different
layouts.  It's annoying.  Jeremy's suggestion sounds like it becomes
more like the Zope 3 layout if I understood it correctly.

My concern is a little different.  In each of these environments, we
end up doing a lot of extra distutils support cruft, and that's one of
the things that's most tedious about re-using components in a
different project.  For the SFTP Gateway project, I used a src/
directory to contain all the Python packages, and, frankly, I regret
it.  Doing os.chdir() before calling distutils.core.setup() is just
plain wrong.  It would be nice if it were easier to deal with using a
src/ directory to contain the sources, but it's not.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation