[ZODB-Dev] Timeout in UndoSearch

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Jan 14 17:39:57 EST 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote at 2004-1-14 13:44 -0500:
>On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 13:05, Brian R Brinegar wrote:
>> I propose this is added to the standard zope distribution, the timeout
>> should probably be set in an environment variable or something, it would
>> also be nice if as you click "earlier transactions" the timeout would
>> increase, but that may be more work than it's worth.
>>
>> The patch is two lines. I've included the modified methods below. Does
>> anyone else have the same problem? Is this something that should be
>> included in FileStorage?
>
>This feature does sound like a good idea.  We'll need to add a
>configuration option to specify it, because we're trying to avoid
>environment variables for configuration.

Someone else suggested to limit the search by transaction
commit time (rather than searching runtime).
E.g. give me all "Undo" possibility within the last day/week/month.

In my view this is much clearer (with respect to its semantics)
than a limit on search time. When the search time is used
as limit, I do not know (when the "Undo" comes back with no
records) whether there are undo records.

In all cases (however we restrict the search), we should be able to continue
the search further down the ZODB until we hit the way of no further
undo.

This all means: I have strong objections against the proposed patch.

By the way: we can stop looking for "Undo" information
as soon we reach the first packed transaction.
This means, that even a several GB storage may not be a problem
(provided it is packed regularly).

--
Dieter