[ZODB-Dev] Standalone ZODB+ZEO installs

zodb-dev at netchan.cotse.net zodb-dev at netchan.cotse.net
Sat Jan 17 11:34:03 EST 2004

Is there any way to install a standalone ZODB and ZEO (as a ZEO server
for multiple ZOPE instances) without distutils? I hate distutils, it
binds the application to a specific Python installation and Python
installations (and Zopes) are changing constantly on my machines.
Something like Zope's ./configure --prefix=somewhere
--with-python=somewhere would be very useful, especially if I could
specifiy in a configuration file the Python instance I want to use, as I
can do it in Zope. I develop mostly on Windows and the target system is
OpenBSD. If I get it right from the docs, on unix at least I can specify
the target directory to which I want to install, but the Windows
installer doesn't even let me to choose a destination. Can I have
multiple ZODB installations on the same Windows machine without
installing mupliple Pythons? How do you set up your development
environment?

Regards,
Sandor