[ZODB-Dev] Scalable Container for Log-Entries

Casey Duncan casey at zope.com
Wed Jan 28 10:38:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:15:38 +0100
Thomas Guettler <hv at tbz-pariv.de> wrote:
[..]
> It seems to be OK. I am running this script since
> several minutes:
>
> frac=1000000
> while 1:
>     now=time.time()
>     now2=time.time()
>     now=long(now*frac)
>     now2=long(now2*frac)
>     if now==now2:
>         raise("Equal: %s" % now)
>
> > You could also consider putting the log in a separate storage so
> > that it doesn't content with access to the main storage server. This
> > could be done later, however.
>
> I want to log references to objects (not strings). I think this is not
>
> possible if I use serveral storages.

If they are traversable objects, then you can store paths as identifiers
instead of objects. Remember that any objects referenced in the log will
be kept around as long as the log entry is alive. Perhaps this is what
you want, however.

The separate storage is an idea that probably shouldn't be done unless a
clear need is demonstrated, since it complicates the configuration a
good bit.

-Casey