[ZODB-Dev] Who's experiencing FileStorage corruption?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu Jul 1 15:24:35 EDT 2004

[Neil Schemenauer]
> It's not clear if you want to hear about good experiences.

I didn't ask for any, but I'm not complaining <wink>.  After some quality
time with Google, I have the impression that FileStorage is getting a bum
rap in some circles.

> In any case, during all the time we at the MEMS Exchange used ZODB we
> never experienced data loss or corruption due to ZODB or ZOE.  One time we
> noticed that bad memory in one of our servers caused the FileStorage to
> become corrupted.  Fortunately, in large part due to the simplicity of
> the FileStorage, I was able to reconstruct the database using the current
> file and backups without losing data.

That's a match to Zope Corp's experience, and thanks for confirming that
FileStorage users aren't generally plagued with corruption problems!  Since
(as you know) a FileStorage always grows by appending, it's hard to imagine
how clumps of NUL bytes can end up in the interior except via non-ZODB
system problems (although I remain open to the possibility that ZODB is at
fault).