[ZODB-Dev] Use of fsync in FileStorage

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at devmail.geminidataloggers.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 19:07:11 EDT 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 23:09, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> > and, (b) the long python-dev discussion which
> > specifically questioned fsync()'s "reliability" on Linux.
>
> I dont track python-dev.... I will read this and get back to you.

You posted this link - was that the thread you meant?

| According to point #5 in
|   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-September/038375.html
| Linux will allow fsync() to return even if the data isn't actually on disk.

Yes, linux can allow fsync to return before the data is on disk, if the disk
has a volatile write cache enabled. Some IDE disks have it on by default, and
some do not allow it to be turned off.

Im not sure this is news. I believe these problems are limited to the low-end
IDE products, not server-class disks where we expect ZODB to be robust.

--
Toby Dickenson