[ZODB-Dev] Maximum pool size considered harmful

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon May 3 04:18:33 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Objections?

I REALLY like this :-)
The number of hours I've wasted looking at test results that go something like:

...EEEEEEE

...and which I then can't get any info out of because the tests have hung do to
"something silly" happening in setUp, which means the connection never gets
returned in tearDown ;-)

> Perhaps there should be a callback that gets called when a
> connection is created. It could implement a policy of complaining
> if the number of connections created exceeds some number.

That sounds ideal. Maybe use the python warnign stuff?

So, in tests, I'd see the warning whines if I really am leaking stuff, but they
won't paralyze test runs where setUp is broken, meaning it quicker to fix that
breakage...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk